The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC Legal Blog

If your ex disagrees about a child custody issue

Texas parents do not always agree about child-related issues in marriage. Some issues take much discussion and compromise to resolve. If the parents in question happen to be navigating divorce, it can be even more challenging to find solutions to child custody issues.

For instance, a concerned parent who believes his or her child is not coping well in school or is showing other signs of a learning disability or emotional distress due to family circumstances may wish to seek a psychological assessment to help determine the underlying source of the child’s problems and to learn about ways to provide him or her support. In fact, in wanting to seek such an evaluation, a parent might be acting on the recommendation of a school counselor or other adult official such as a coach or teacher. A psychological assessment can be carried out in numerous ways.

An evaluator might begin by interviewing a child and his or her parents to talk about family history and other important issues. Questionnaires and tests are also often used as part of psychological assessments. If one parent wants a son or daughter to undergo an assessment by the other parent refuses to allow it, it can spark legal problems in a divorce. Whether one parent has sole legal custody or both parents share custody would undoubtedly be a primary concern in such circumstances.

Depending on the terms of an existing child custody order, it may or may not be necessary for Texas parents to consult each other about decisions such as whether a child should receive a psychological assessment. If a parent is unsure whether he or she may act without consulting his or her ex, clarification may be sought by requesting a meeting with an experienced family law attorney. Such an attorney can advocate for the parent, including court proceedings if applicable

Share Via

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Search Our Site




Over 40 Years

Of Combined Experience