Violent crimes are crimes that cause harm or personal injury to another individual. A violent crime could be assault, the threat of assault, or serious bodily injury using a deadly weapon. As these crimes cause serious harm to the victim involved, criminal law takes a tough approach to perpetrators of violent crimes.
If you are facing criminal charges for a violent crime in Katy, TX, it is important that you contact a criminal defense lawyer immediately. Being convicted of a violent crime can result in serious penalties, such as time in jail, serious fines, and a permanent criminal record. In many cases, people commit violent crimes in the heat of the moment without any forethought or premeditation. It is easy to make a quick decision to cause harm to someone, however, this decision does not have to impact the rest of your life.
At The Love DuCote Firm LLC, our criminal defense lawyers have been serving Katy TX clients for over 40 years. We have a team of highly experienced trial lawyers, who are dedicated to protecting your legal rights and pursuing the best course of action for your case. Our criminal defense attorneys always ensure to keep your best interests at the forefront of our arguments, and we will fight aggressively to win your case.
Katy Criminal Defense Lawyers at The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC
Choosing the right Katy criminal defense lawyer is the most important decision for any criminal case. A good criminal defense attorney can be the difference between getting your case dismissed or receiving a life sentence or even the death penalty in Texas. The Katy criminal defense lawyers at The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC have the experience and skills necessary to win your violent crimes case in Katy, TX.
Through over 40 years of combined practice, we have gained an in-depth experience in criminal defense law, and have helped clients with a wide range of criminal cases including felony charges, violent crimes, DUI/DWI charges, drug crimes, sex crimes, and related practice areas. If you hire us as your legal representative, we will assign the criminal defense lawyer that has the most experience with cases similar to yours.
All of the criminal defense lawyers in our firm have significant experience with criminal law and have received awards for their aggressive representation. Our two managing attorneys, Leigh Love and Jeremy B Du. Cote both have AVVO ratings of 10.0, which is based on their experience, professional achievement, peer recognition, and awards.
The criminal defense lawyers from our law office will guide you through the criminal justice process, advise you on any legal issues, assess your legal options, discuss legal fees, and fight aggressively to get your charges dropped. Our lawyers can also negotiate with the prosecutor to get a fair plea agreement if getting your case dismissed is not possible.
The Role of a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Katy, TX
The most important job of an attorney in a criminal case is to ensure that all of your criminal defense needs are met. An experienced criminal defense attorney should listen to your needs, consider your best interests, offer you advice on Texas criminal defense issues, and build a strong criminal defense on your behalf. Some ways our criminal defense lawyers can help you include:
Investigate Your Case
In violent crime cases, the people involved are the only people who know what truly happened. As such, it is important for your criminal defense lawyer to listen to your case and carry out independent research into what happened. This means examining police reports, speaking with witnesses, and looking at any evidence from the scene.
Build a Strong Criminal Defense
It is important that you have a strong criminal defense to prevent a guilty verdict or to get a lighter sentence. An experienced criminal defense lawyer will use their investigative and legal skills to come up with a unique defense strategy on your behalf. Examples of criminal defenses our lawyers may use for your violent crimes case include lack of intent, property defense, or self-defense.
Defend Your Criminal Case
To avoid being proven guilty, you will need an aggressive criminal defense lawyer to defend your case in a criminal court. This entails putting forward independent evidence, cross-examining witnesses, and defending any arguments put forward by the prosecution. The lawyers at The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC have significant trial experience and have achieved many “not-guilty” verdicts. Our managing partner Leigh Love has worked as a felony prosecutor, and she will use this experience to predict arguments made in court by the prosecutors.
In some criminal defense cases, achieving a not-guilty verdict can be quite difficult. As such, you may decide to negotiate a plea bargain with a lower sentence. The first plea bargain put forward by the prosecution is unlikely to be in your favor, and an experienced criminal defense attorney can get this plea deal substantially improved.
Violent Crimes in Katy, TX
To amount to a violent crime, an act must cause or threaten harm to another individual. A violent crime can be an action that involves physical force, causes a bodily injury or the loss of life, or a threat of imminent violence or harm. The crime itself can be motivated by some factor, involve premeditation, or be committed due to a lack of care for human life. Some examples of violent crimes in Katy, TX include:
- Assault, including aggravated assault.
- Violent theft crimes such as robbery and aggravated robbery.
- Domestic violence.
- Gang-related violence.
- Violent drug crimes.
- Hate crimes.
- Sexual assault, including aggravated sexual assault.
- Attempted murder.
Because these crimes cause significant harm or injury to other people, criminal charges are usually considered felonies. If you are charged with a felony in Katy, TX, it is important that you have strong legal representation to help you defend your charges. You will need a strong criminal defense and an attorney that has significant experience with the criminal legal system in Texas to prevent a serious criminal conviction.
Penalties For Violent Crimes in Katy, TX
As violent crimes are charged as felonies in Texas, the penalties for a conviction are typically severe. The penalties will depend on a number of factors including the severity of the crime, whether there were any weapons involved, your previous criminal history, and your state of mind at the time of the act.
Texas criminal law typically has sentencing guidelines for each type of violent crime, and the judge presiding over your criminal case will have discretion over the penalties you receive. The typical penalties for felony convictions are as follows:
- Third-degree felony – Violent crimes that result in third-degree felonies can include kidnapping, assault, and domestic violence. The penalty for third-degree felonies in Katy TX can range from 2 to 10 years in prison, community service, and up to $10,000 in fines.
- Second-degree felony – Second-degree felonies can include manslaughter and aggravated assault. The fines for a second-degree felony conviction can include up to 20 years in prison, which includes a mandatory minimum sentence of 2 years, and fines of up to $10,000.
- First-degree felony – Conviction for a first-degree felony will result in a mandatory minimum prison sentence of five years, which can be extended up to 99 years. You can also face up to $10,000 in fines. Examples of violent crimes that result in a first-degree felony include aggravated assault, murder, and aggravated robbery.
- Capital offense – Some violent crimes such as murder during the commission of other felonies are charged as capital offenses, which can result in the death penalty or life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.
Your sentence may be increased substantially if there were aggravating factors or you have committed previous violent crimes. It is important to seek the legal services of an experienced criminal defense lawyer if you are facing criminal charges for a violent crime. Without legal representation, you could face serious consequences and have your life impacted by a permanent criminal record.
How Does the Criminal Justice System Work in Katy, TX?
The criminal justice system can be complicated and overwhelming without legal assistance, as you will need to defend your case, submit motions, and negotiate with prosecutors regarding your charges. A criminal defense lawyer from our law office can help you with all stages of your criminal case including:
- Arrest – When arrested for a violent crime, it is vital that you respect the orders of the arresting officers and remain silent until you are accompanied by a criminal defense lawyer. Law enforcement officers will use their tactics to try and retrieve a confession or get incriminating evidence. It is important to remember that their priority is securing a conviction and not protecting your right to innocence.
- Arraignment – If there is sufficient evidence against you, the state prosecutor will bring formal charges against you at this point. Your attorney will enter your plea, which will usually be a not-guilty plea.
- Pre-trial – During the pre-trial phase, your criminal defense lawyer may try to negotiate a fair plea deal with the state prosecutor. This can include reducing your sentence and penalties substantially or agreeing to probation instead of jail time.
- Discovery – If your case goes to trial, the prosecutor must provide any evidence they have against you to your criminal defense lawyer. This stage of the trial is crucial as it is when your attorney will have the opportunity to examine evidence and build a defense to arguments put forward by the prosecutor.
- Trial – At trial, your criminal defense lawyer must strongly argue your innocence and prove that you did not commit the crime you are accused of. You will need to hire an attorney with extensive experience fighting cases at trial and someone that will protect your legal rights at all costs.
- Appeals – If you are found guilty, your Katy, TX criminal defense lawyer may have the opportunity to appeal the case. They will need to find a legal issue with the case such as a violation of legal rights or improper handling of evidence.
The criminal system in Katy, TX, is complex and requires a deep understanding of Texas criminal defense issues. As such, it is important that you hire an attorney that has sufficient experience and skills to win your case.
Speak With a Katy Violent Crimes Lawyer at The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC Today
Being charged with a violent criminal offense in Katy, TX is a very serious matter. Conviction of such a serious offense can result in severe penalties such as lengthy prison sentences, massive fines, probation, community service, and a permanent criminal record. With a criminal record, you will face difficulties accessing education, employment, housing, child support, and much more.
To avoid a criminal conviction or to reduce your penalties substantially, it is important that you speak with a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. The lawyers at The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC have extensive experience with criminal defense law and violent crime cases and can help you get the best possible outcome for your case.
Our criminal defense attorneys know how stressful it is to face charges for violent crimes and the huge impact that a conviction can have on your life. We will use our experience and skills to fight aggressively on your behalf. Through our years of dedication and hard work, we have built up a strong attorney-client relationship that you can rely on completely.
Contact a criminal defense attorney from our law office today by calling 832-843-1691.