The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC Legal Blog

Child custody: Parental alienation can be a serious problem

You may have decided that you no longer wish to be married to your spouse. You may have also decided that you want to settle your divorce in as painless a manner as possible, especially regarding issues pertaining to your children. Your relationship with your ex might not be all that amicable, but that doesn’t mean he or she should try to impede your relationship with your kids. In Texas and elsewhere, parental alienation schemes are a problematic issue in many divorces.

Children typically fare best in divorce when they maintain active, healthy relationships with both parents. Sadly, if your ex wants to seek revenge for past marital problems or for the fact that you asked for a divorce, he or she might try to turn your kids against you. It’s important to know your rights and to reach out for additional support if you suspect a parental alienation scheme at hand.

What are the signs?

Relationships can be challenging. Especially as a parent, you’ve no doubt gone through ups and downs with your children, particularly as they enter their teenage years. A divorce can be unsettling for kids, and it takes time to cope and to adapt to a new lifestyle. If your kids are acting hostile toward you, however, it may be a sign that something else is going on.

If your ex wants to turn your kids against you, he or she might tell them falsehoods about you. For instance, to alienate a parent, a co-parent might tell the children that their other parent doesn’t love them or that they are reason the other parent left. Denying you access on your custody or visitation days is another red flag that your ex may be attempting to alienate you from your kids.

Resolving the problem can be difficult

In its worst cases, parental alienation can be a form of brainwashing. Convincing children that their parent loves them and has their best interests in mind after they have fallen victim to such a scheme isn’t easy, especially if it has gone on a long time.

The court does not look favorably on a parent who tries to undermine a co-parent’s rights or tries to turn children against their mother or father. If your ex has been disregarding an existing custody order, there may be numerous other legal issues to resolve as well. Licensed counselors can provide support to children, and a concerned parent can reach out for legal support to bring a parental alienation scheme to a halt.


Share Via

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Search Our Site




Over 40 Years

Of Combined Experience