Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is strictly prohibited under criminal law in Katy and all throughout Texas. Being charged with drunk driving can be frightening, particularly with the prospect of getting a criminal record and having your driving privileges revoked.
If you are facing a DUI or DWI charge in Katy, TX, it is important that you seek legal assistance from an experienced DWI defense lawyer. A DWI defense lawyer can help relieve your anxiety and stress by guiding you through the legal process and doing everything in their power to prevent a criminal conviction.
The DWI defense lawyers at The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC have been helping Texas citizens with their DUI/DWI cases for over 40 years. Our law office has a highly qualified legal team with extensive experience in criminal law. Both partners in our firm, Jeremy B. DuCote, and Leigh Love have won awards for their experience and success with DUI/DWI cases.
We understand how stressful it is to battle a DWI charge and we know that there are serious consequences attached to a conviction. Our attorneys will fight aggressively on your behalf to ensure that you get the best possible outcome for your case, and we give equal importance to each case that comes into our office.
What are DUI/DWI Cases in Katy, TX?
DUI/DWI laws prohibit individuals in Katy, TX, from operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Due to the number of car accidents that are caused each year in Texas, and the level of personal injury suffered due to drunk drivers, the state of Texas takes a strict approach toward DUI/DWI.
State laws divide drunk driving charges into two categories, DUI and DWI charges. DUI charges are brought against minors who are arrested for driving while intoxicated, and DWI laws apply to those over the age of 21 in TX, Katy.
Katy DUI Charges
The State of Texas takes a no-tolerance approach towards minors driving under the influence. If you are under the age of 21, you are strictly prohibited to operate a motor vehicle with any trace of alcohol or drugs in your system. If you are arrested for drunk driving as a minor, you will be charged with a DUI. The penalties for a DUI include:
- Loss of driver’s license.
- Fines of $500.
- Installation of an ignition interlock device (IID).
- Enrollment in an alcohol education program.
If you are charged with a DUI for a second time, your penalties will be increased substantially. For repeat minor DUI offenses in Katy, TX, you may face jail time. It is important that you speak with a DWI attorney if you have been charged with a DUI as a minor. An experienced attorney can help ensure that your charges are reduced and that you do not face serious penalties.
Katy DWI Charges
DWI convictions are brought against individuals over the age of 21 who are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. If you are pulled over by a law enforcement officer and your blood alcohol content (BAC) is determined to be higher than 0.08% after taking a breath or blood sample, you will be charged with a DWI.
The law in Katy also provides that any person driving with a BAC of higher than 0.15% will be charged with an aggravated DWI charge. Other factors can also bring about an aggravated DWI charge such as the presence of a minor in the vehicle.
Penalties For a DWI Conviction in Katy, TX
Being convicted of a DWI in Katy, TX, can result in severe penalties under criminal law. The penalties for a DWI depend on the individual case however their severity will depend on the amount of alcohol or drugs found in your system, whether there were any aggravating factors, and if you have been convicted of a DUI previously.
First TX DWI Offense
First-time DWI offenses are usually charged as Class B misdemeanors in Katy, TX. The penalties for a Class B misdemeanor include:
- From 3 to 180 days in jail.
- Up to $2,000 in fines.
- Driver’s license suspension for up to one year.
If there were any aggravating factors, such as a BAC of higher than 0.15%, you will face more serious consequences.
Second TX DWI Offense
For a second DWI offense in Katy, TX, you will be charged with a Class A misdemeanor, which imposes far harsher penalties. You could be looking at:
- Up to $4,000 in fines.
- Jail time from 30 days to 1 year.
- Driver’s license suspension for 2 years.
- Installation of an ignition interlock device on your vehicle (IID).
- Court-mandated alcohol or drug education program.
Although a second DWI is charged as a misdemeanor, it is considered a permanent charge and can have a lasting effect on your criminal record.
Third TX DWI Offense
If you are arrested for a third time DWI, you will be charged with a third-degree felony. Felony charges are much more serious than misdemeanor charges and will result in a permanent criminal record. With a felony record, you may face difficulties getting employed, applying to university, and much more.
The penalties for a third TX DWI conviction include:
- From 2 to 10 years in jail, with a requirement to spend time in jail regardless of probation plea agreement.
- Up to $10,000 in fines.
- Probation and community service.
- License suspension for 2 years.
- Installation of an IID.
It is important to note that the state of Texas does not have an expiry limit for DWI offenses. This means that your charge can be enhanced based on prior DWI convictions that occurred over 10 years ago.
Consequences of a DWI Conviction in Katy, TX
Apart from the criminal penalties of being convicted of a DUI/DWI in Katy, TX, there are added consequences of a criminal conviction that can have a massive impact on your life. To avoid facing a criminal conviction, it is strongly recommended that you seek legal assistance from an experienced DWI attorney. They will use their legal experience to build a strong criminal defense on your behalf and try to get your charges thrown out.
Some consequences you may face after a DWI conviction include:
- Criminal background – Your criminal record will be available to individuals or organizations that perform a background check on you. With a criminal background, you will face difficulties accessing employment, education, public housing, child support, and more. If you have been convicted of a felony DWI, you may lose your right to vote.
- Insurance rates – Insurance companies take a strict approach to drivers that have been convicted of a DUI/DWI. Your current insurance company may decide to let you go as a client or raise your premium substantially. New insurance companies will also have much higher insurance rates for drivers with a DUI/DWI conviction.
- Loss of driving privileges – A person arrested for driving while intoxicated is required to file an administrative hearing with the State Office of Administrative Hearings within 15 days regarding their license suspension. The state or judge may decide to suspend your driver’s license for up to 2 years depending on the severity of your DWI crime.
Many of our clients do not realize the serious effects of a DUI/DWI criminal conviction in Katy, TX. With a criminal record, you will face many different challenges relating to all parts of your life and future. The only way to ensure that your future is not tarnished by a DWI/DUI conviction is to seek legal assistance from a Katy TX DWI attorney.
What Can a DWI Attorney Do For Me in Katy, TX?
The best way to prevent facing serious penalties and a criminal conviction for a DUI/DWI is to seek the legal assistance of a DWI lawyer. Trying to navigate the criminal legal system in Katy, TX without legal experience can be quite difficult. Particularly with DUI/DWI cases, building a criminal defense can be a difficult task, as many people are caught in the act.
Our DWI attorneys in Katy, TX can help your DUI/DWI case by doing the following:
- Look for a legal issue – Law enforcement officers are required to abide by certain laws when pulling drivers over in traffic stops. If you refuse to take blood or field sobriety tests, the officer must get a warrant to take a blood sample. Failure to get this warrant, or failure to abide by rules or regulations could invalidate your DUI/DWI charges.
- Build a strong criminal defense – By examining your case and investigating any legal issues, a DUI/DWI lawyer can build a strong criminal defense on your behalf to get your charges dropped or penalties reduced. Our attorneys could argue that your constitutional rights were violated, the blood test was mishandled, there was not sufficient evidence to bring a DUI/DWI charge, or the traffic stop was illegal.
- Get the best outcome possible – If there is insufficient evidence to secure a conviction, a DUI/DWI lawyer from our firm will fight aggressively to get your charges thrown out. In the event that a conviction is probable based on the evidence, we can help negotiate a deal with the prosecutor to reduce the penalties you face and prevent time in prison.
The most important job of a DUI/DWI lawyer is to protect their client’s legal rights and ensure that they get the most favorable outcome for their case. Our attorneys are highly skilled at building DUI/DWI defenses and we will fight tooth and nail to prevent a serious criminal conviction.
Katy DUI/DWI Lawyers at The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC
At The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC, our team of DWI lawyers is highly distinguished for our advocacy and aggressive representation of clients. Our top priority is making sure that your rights are protected and that you receive honest and well-advised legal advice. We help clients with DUI/DWI matters, criminal defense issues, and related practice areas.
Our team of lawyers has significant experience fighting cases in court and achieving fair deals outside of court through negotiation and mediation. Both managing partners of our law office have a 10.0 rating on AVVO, which is the highest rating score possible, based on peer recognition, experience, and awards. Jeremy B. DuCote has been given the “Clients Choice Award” for DWI matters by AVVO, and Leigh Love has won the Top Ten Attorneys for DWI Law.
We guarantee to put your needs first, listen to any issues you have, and protect your best interests. Our office location is based in Sugar Land however we help clients all over the state including Katy, Fort Bend County, Harris County, Montgomery County, and Houston, TX.
Speak With a Katy DWI/DUI Defense Lawyer at The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC
If you are facing a DUI/DWI charge in Katy, TX, it is imperative that you seek legal assistance from an experienced DWI attorney. Getting a criminal conviction can have a major impact on your life, and you could be faced with jail time, huge fines, loss of your driver’s license, and a permanent criminal record.
At The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC, we have been helping clients with DUI/DUI matters for many years, and we have what it takes to win your case in Katy, TX. Through our dedication, fierce advocacy, and aggressive representation, we have built up a strong attorney-client relationship.
Whether you are facing a misdemeanor or felony DUI/DWI charge in Katy, TX, we will do everything in our power to defend your rights, build a strong criminal defense, and prevent your life from being impacted by a criminal conviction.