To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing.
Please call to discuss your options.


  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Child Custody & Modifications
  4.  → Child Custody FAQ

Here To Answer Your Questions On Child Custody

In most cases of child custody, Texas family law courts will grant both parents custody rights, otherwise known as joint managing conservatorship (JMC). At the same time, there are many reasons that can affect how custody is granted. Sometimes the negotiation for custody can devolve into a fierce battle. An experienced family law attorney can help you protect your child’s best interests by ensuring that you and your co-parent come up with an agreeable plan for custody.

Our lawyers at The Love DuCote Law Firm LLC have over 40 years of combined experience handling custody cases around Fort Bend County. To help keep you informed on the child custody process, we have answered some of the most commonly asked questions.

How is child custody granted?

When deciding how and who to grant custody, the court’s primary goal is to protect the best interests of the child. This will involve the evaluation of each parent’s overall parenting ability, the financial and emotional stability of their homes, the social values they intend to raise their child with, and many other factors.

How does child custody relate to child support matters?

Just as both parents are expected to be equally involved in their children’s lives, they are also expected to equally contribute financially. If only one parent has custody, however, then the noncustodial parent is typically expected to take on the role of financially supporting the child. At the same time, matters of child support are also dependent on each parent’s income and financial abilities. The court will take your unique circumstances into consideration.

What happens when a parent wants to move?

When unexpected changes happen, parents may qualify to have their existing court orders updated. Relocation is one of the most common reasons for custody modification. It can affect whether the children end up moving as well or could result in the relocation being prevented altogether if it significantly affects the best interests of the child.

Can I change my existing child custody order?

Yes, custody orders can be modified in court if there has been a significant change in you or your co-parent’s life, such that your existing orders no longer meet the needs of you or your children. We can help you determine if you qualify for a modification, as well as walk you through the legal process.

Speak With One Of Our Family Law Attorneys

We are dedicated to tailoring our approach to meet the individual circumstances of our clients. To discuss your needs with one of our experienced Sugar Land attorneys, schedule a consultation with us by calling 832-535-2084 or by completing our intake form.